• Fiancé Applications

    Fiancés Entry clearance is given for six months, during which time you will not be allowed to work. You must show the following: that you plan to marry or register a civil partnership within six months of arrival in the UK (though in exceptional circumstances an extension of this time-limit Read More
  • Student Applications

    Tier 4 - Students If you are applying to extend your Tier 4 (Student) leave the gap between the end of your current leave and the start of your studies must be no more than 28 days.This change will affect all Tier 4 applications for further leave to remain that are Read More
  • British Citizenship

    British Citizenship Applying for British citizenship if you are married to a British citizen You must have been living in the United Kingdom for three years continuously. This means you must not have been absent for more than 270 days in total and not more than 90 days in the Read More
  • Business Visa Applications

    Visiting the UK for Business To come to the UK as a business visitor, you must be able to show that: you are 18 or over; you intend to visit the UK for no more than 6 months (or 12 months if you are an academic visitor), unless you are Read More
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Unmarried Partners  


The immigration rules allow for applications to be made to enter or remain in the United Kingdom on the basis of relationships where the couple are not married or in a civil partnership.  Opposite sex couples who are not married are referred to as "unmarried partners", same sex couples who are not in a civil partnership are referred to as "same sex couples". The rules are the same whether an unmarried or same sex partner.  


The immigration rules require that the couple must be living together in a relationship "akin to marriage or civil partnership" which has continued for two years or more. This is interpreted by the Home Office and Embassies abroad to mean two years' cohabitation and strong evidence of this cohabitation will be needed.  


If you plan to make an application yourself you must read the rules and the Home Office policy section thoroughly as this page only provides a very brief overview. The partners of EEA nationals should follow the European guidance specific to them.  


The particular circumstances of a couple will dictate the appropriate place to make the application (in the UK or outside), the form to be used, and the length of stay to be granted.

Login Form

Who's Online

We have 20 guests and 2 members online

  • AaronzNup
  • Samzytieta