• Fiancé Applications

    Fiancés Entry clearance is given for six months, during which time you will not be allowed to work. You must show the following: that you plan to marry or register a civil partnership within six months of arrival in the UK (though in exceptional circumstances an extension of this time-limit Read More
  • Student Applications

    Tier 4 - Students If you are applying to extend your Tier 4 (Student) leave the gap between the end of your current leave and the start of your studies must be no more than 28 days.This change will affect all Tier 4 applications for further leave to remain that are Read More
  • British Citizenship

    British Citizenship Applying for British citizenship if you are married to a British citizen You must have been living in the United Kingdom for three years continuously. This means you must not have been absent for more than 270 days in total and not more than 90 days in the Read More
  • Business Visa Applications

    Visiting the UK for Business To come to the UK as a business visitor, you must be able to show that: you are 18 or over; you intend to visit the UK for no more than 6 months (or 12 months if you are an academic visitor), unless you are Read More
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Domestic Violence


If your relationship with a British citizen or a person settled in the UK has broken down as a result of domestic violence, you may be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain here. This is also referred to as permission to settle here permanently.

To be given permission to settle as a victim of domestic violence, you must prove that:

  • you have been given  permission to enter or remain in the UK as the husband, wife, civil partner or unmarried/same-sex partner of a British citizen or a person settled here (even if that permission is no longer valid);
  • your relationship was existing and genuine (not a 'marriage of convenience', for example) when you were last given permission to enter or remain; and
  • you were the victim of domestic violence, and this is what caused the relationship to break down before the end of your permission to enter or remain.

The introduction of the Destitution Domestic Violence (DDV) concession replaces the successful Sojourner project. It is aimed at protecting those eligible under the DDV concession who are victims of domestic abuse, by allowing them to notify us that they need to access public funds while they make a claim for indefinite leave to remain as a victim of domestic violence.

  • From 1 April 2012 migrants will be able to apply under the Destitution Domestic Violence (DDV) concession.

You can notify the UK Border Agency of your need to access public funds under this policy if:

  • you entered the UK or were given leave to remain in the UK as a spouse, civil partner, unmarried or same sex partner of a British Citizen or someone present and settled in the UK; and
  • your relationship has broken down due to domestic violence; and
  • you do not have the means to access accommodation or to support yourself and need financial help; and
  • you are going to make a claim to stay permanently in the UK under the Domestic Violence Immigration Rule (Settlement DV)

Login Form

Who's Online

We have 44 guests and one member online

  • Samzytieta