If your relationship with a British citizen or a person settled in the UK has broken down as a result of domestic violence, you may be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain here. This is also referred to as permission to settle here permanently.

To be given permission to settle as a victim of domestic violence, you must prove that:

  • you have been given  permission to enter or remain in the UK as the husband, wife, civil partner or unmarried/same-sex partner of a British citizen or a person settled here (even if that permission is no longer valid);
  • your relationship was existing and genuine (not a 'marriage of convenience', for example) when you were last given permission to enter or remain; and
  • you were the victim of domestic violence, and this is what caused the relationship to break down before the end of your permission to enter or remain.

The introduction of the Destitution Domestic Violence (DDV) concession replaces the successful Sojourner project. It is aimed at protecting those eligible under the DDV concession who are victims of domestic abuse, by allowing them to notify us that they need to access public funds while they make a claim for indefinite leave to remain as a victim of domestic violence.

  • From 1 April 2012 migrants will be able to apply under the Destitution Domestic Violence (DDV) concession.

You can notify the UK Border Agency of your need to access public funds under this policy if:

  • you entered the UK or were given leave to remain in the UK as a spouse, civil partner, unmarried or same sex partner of a British Citizen or someone present and settled in the UK; and
  • your relationship has broken down due to domestic violence; and
  • you do not have the means to access accommodation or to support yourself and need financial help; and
  • you are going to make a claim to stay permanently in the UK under the Domestic Violence Immigration Rule (Settlement DV)