Indefinite Leave Overview

After you have lived legally in the UK for a certain length of time, you may be able to apply for permission to settle here. This is known as 'indefinite leave to remain'.

The type of visa you have will determine when you are able to apply and which form you are required to use.

As part of your application for settlement, you must enrol your fingerprints and facial image (known as 'biometric information') and obtain a biometric residence permit, which will confirm your immigration status and entitlements. Any dependents who apply at the same time as you will also need to do this.