If you are coming to the United Kingdom as a general visitor, you are allowed to stay for up to six months. This section explains the different types of visitor visas and what you are allowed to do as a general visitor to the United Kingdom. If you intend staying for longer than six months you need to look at the residency or working in the UK sections of this website. The following categories are for nationals of countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland. If you are an EEA or Swiss national, or a family member of an EEA or Swiss national, there are different requirements. You can apply to visit the United Kingdom under the following visitors categories:

  • General Visitor
  • Family Visitor
  • Business and Special Visitor
  • Medical Treatment