Someone who has lived in the United Kingdom for a period of 10 years may apply for indefinite leave to remain if his or her presence in the UK over this time has been lawful. Unless one of the following applies, indefinite leave to remain will normally be granted:

The 10 years period has been broken.
There are public interest reasons to refuse the application.
The individual fails to demonstrate sufficient knowledge of the English language and of life in the United Kingdom